I took a break from working on another side project to devote my Sunday and part of my Monday to playing more with Corona. Specifically, I wanted to:
- Learn how to do better OOP in Lua
- Learn how to extend the base Corona GUI classes like Group
- Learn about collision detection via their Box2D implementation
I set out to re-build 1942. It’s the perfect Corona game in that it has a lot collisions, sprites, and simple bitmap animations. I want to talk about what I learned in my 2 days. If you’re not familiar with Lua and know some ActionScript, hit my Lua for ActionScript Programmers Crash Course and check out a more simple example first. Here’s a quick sample video. You can download/follow the code on Github.
My slides from FITC Toronto 2011. Obviously a lot of supporting code needed for context, but still some good info on their own for getting complex designs into Flex web, desktop, and (some) mobile.
A friend asked about the potential to develop a set of ActionScript charts that looked good and would run on Mobile, specifically Android phones and iPhone. Apparently a client was asking, and he wanted to know the feasibility for re-use. We discussed the challenges with the existing Flex charts, specifically their lack of Flex 4 skinning abilities, but more importantly their lack of performance scalability.