VIAAS is seeking aÂ Python Software Engineer. The engineer will be a member of a small, dynamic development team. This is a challenging position that requires in-depth knowledge of LAMP technologies, and a seasoned grasp of how to create, communicate about, and design for scalability of Web 2.0 technologies.The engineer needs to be comfortable working in a fluid environment, handling a variety of assignments and technologies. We have a very sharp, passionate, and fast-moving development team that prides itself on technical excellence and innovation. People who are used to staid corporate environments or a heads-down focus on one thing will not be happy here; people who thrive on learning new technologies, defining their jobs, and having a direct contribution to the success of the business will love it here.
- Contribute to the design, architecture, development, and deployment of all web/server development projects.
- Ensure that a best-practices approach is taken regarding all stages and aspects of technology projects.
- Assist in making high-level, technology decisions, with a keen eye towards innovation and scalability.
- Seven plus years experience in software development (with at least five years in web/lamp server application development), with exposure to the full development life-cycle required.
- Expert-level proficiency in object-oriented LAMP-stack environment. Specific expertise in Python is desired. Experience with Django is a strong plus.
- Experience with FLASH / FLEX desired.
- Experience setting up web based storefront desired. Experience with Satchmo a plus.
- Experience contributing to enterprise class software projects a must.
- Proficiency in AJAX and Web 2.0 development methodologies.
- Development experience with the MySQL and/or Postgres database. Historical use of federated databases a plus.
- Solid understanding of Apache 1.3.x and 2.x operations and integration in a Linux/Unix environment.
- Experience working with open source tools and applications, with prior participation and contribution in open source projects a plus.
- Experience with MPEG 4, h.264, and open source video manipulation tools a plus.
- Ability to work independently with no hand-holding.
- Ability to work in a rapidly changing environment and exhibit grace under pressure.
- Experience with cloud computing a plus.
- Experience with the entire software life-cycle â€“ analysis, design, implementation, quality assurance, deployment, and maintenance.
- Strong organizational, problem-solving and communications skills (must be able to do basic technical writing in English).
While the ideal candidate will be located in the the South Bay Area, working remotely will be considered if skills and experience and location warrant it.
To apply for this position, submit your resume, in plain text, HTML, Doc or PDF (PDF preferred), toÂ firstname.lastname@example.org.
VIAAS is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of any status or condition protected by applicable federal or state law.